Graphic Design 2 - Project 4 Magazine

Our final assignment for Graphic Design was to choose a magazine and redesign its cover, table of contents, and a two-page spread. I chose Playboy - for a couple of reasons: first, I thought it would show that I am willing to take risks; to touch on subject matter that might otherwise be considered taboo or distasteful. Second, I enjoy a challenge; in discussing my choice with my professor -that there is a negative stigma surrounding the publication- we decided my goal should be to make it "classy". Third, I figured there was no way anyone else in my class would pick this type of magazine (and I like to be different). Click on images to see full versions.

I know it's not the classy look I was going for; this was my "quick-and-easy" cover (even though it was neither quick nor easy to create). This was my attempt at redesigning the cover to look more stereotypical - what you'd expect to see on the cover of a men's magazine. I used an image from inside the magazine and photoshopped out the model's nipples; the text is the same but I had a lot more fun with the typefaces, colour scheme and arrangement of information. My professor suggested that this cover might be offensive to [women] because the model is bottomless and the entire composition is hyper-sexual; she asked what I thought of cropping the image just above the model's belly button. My defense was that this is the "Sex + Music Issue" - the disco ball is pretty much the only thing tying into music; if I removed it, it would just be the "Sex Issue".

It's a lot more personal and was a true labor of love (not to mention a complete redesign). First and most noticeable: I changed the typeface of the nameplate. Where Playboy uses a condensed version of "Rockwell" (and I used a standard version), for this cover I went with "Garamond". I thought it was still nicely seriffed but had a classy, retro look to it. The idea to knock out the text was my professor's - she felt that having plain, coloured text on the white background did not stand out enough, and I concurred. The gold colour was sampled from Jon Hamm's tie and, going for class, I used it throughout. Jon Hamm's is the main interview inside; as his character on Mad Men exudes and is the epitomy of male sexuality and class, I thought him the most suitable candidate for the cover. Unfortunately, the only decently-sized picture I could find of him was a bust - hence why he is blended in to a suit I drew up quickly. Wanting to stick with a retro, artistic theme and, believing that a scantily-clad woman was still necessary to compliment Hamm (it is a gentleman's magazine, after all), I drew up the woman you see (in tasteful lingerie). The records were originally one image I duplicated and edited; again, it is the "Sex + Music Issue". I'm exceptionally happy with how this cover turned out.

This was actually a relatively straightforward redo. Again, I changed the nameplate to "Garamond" (in keeping with my preferred cover), but kept everything together on the same bar. There was a lot of information that needed to be transposed and that, really, was what took the most time. Wanting to give a nod to the original Playboy look, I changed the header font to "Rockwell". Otherwise, the edits are minor - I changed all the images (and added a couple); their positioning; a few colours and highlights.

I'm really proud of how this turned out. In my opinion, everything about the original layout was awful - the image, the placement of information, the typeface used for the title. The word "ghost" was done-up in a warped, "spooky" style; all the copy was relegated to the bottom right of the spread. The attempt to make the article spooky failed completely as the main image reflected nothing of the sort - Mic Fleetwood, waist-deep in water, playing a ukelele surrounded by fake loons. Apparently it was a nod to an original Fleetwood Mac album cover, but it was hardly ghostly. Not wanting to have to wade through mountains of stock images online, I decided it would be easier and more creative if I just came up with a new image myself, so I did! I liked Fleetwoods location -in a swamp- but I felt, to go with the ghost theme, it needed something more suggestive; I threw in some headstones and original Fleetwood records floating to the surface of what could be thought of as a flooded cemetery. Fleetwood himself, too, has something of a more ghostly appearance now, but it is a much more positive take on the supernatural theme. Not everything has to be evil or scary when it comes to ghosts.


ClöwnBäbÿ said...

These Kick ass mark!

proptiger said...

Its really good to find information about story on your blog. It has been of a great help to me. Thanks for sharing.
3C Lotus Panache

Ayumi Sophia said...

Thank you for giving posts and articles were very amazing. I really liked as a part of the article. With a nice and interesting topics. Has helped a lot of people who do not challenge things people should know. You need more publicize this because many people. Who know about it very few people know this. Success for you....!!!